Nine Freshmen Admitted with Prestigious Scholarships
August 24, 2017
From left, front row: Anthony Fontana, Victor Bague, Adora
Henson, and Christine Potthast.
From left, back row: Dr. Vyas Krishnan, Steven Grant, Thomas Mahoney, Phillip Waitkevich, Patrick Berry, Jacob Austin, and Dr. Monika Kiss
The Class of 2021 at University Campus includes nine students who are known as the university’s first Emerging Mathematics and Computer Science (EMACS) scholars. The undergraduates were chosen to receive special scholarships of $8,000 per year, funded largely by a grant the university received from the National Science Foundation. The foundation awarded the grant to help the university nurture technological and analytical talent in the next generation.
In addition to the tuition support, the students are receiving focused mentoring from two faculty members, Dr. Vyas Krishnan for the computer science majors and Dr. Monika Kiss for the mathematics majors. Additional activities are planned for the students throughout their course of study, including exposure to a variety of career opportunities. EMACS scholars will also be advised about graduate schools and programs that may be suitable for them.
The scholars, listed alphabetically, are as follows.
- Jacob Austin, from Dade City, FL, a mathematics major
- Victor Bague, from Sanford, FL, a mathematics major
- Patrick Berry, from Hudson, FL, a computer science major
- Anthony Fontana, from Staten Island, NY, a math major
- Steven Grant, from Orlando, FL, a computer science major
- Adora Henson, from St. Louis, MO, a mathematics major
- Thomas Mahoney, from Valrico, FL, a computer science major
- Christine Potthast, from Windermere, FL, a computer science major
- Phillip Waitkevich, from Spring Hill, FL, a computer science major
The grant from the National Science Foundation will permit Saint Leo to offer tuition support to another group of eight EMACS scholars to be admitted as freshmen for the 2018-2019 school year. Receiving an EMACS scholarship will not prevent students from being considered for other aid if they meet financial eligibility requirements. For more information concerning applications for the upcoming academic year, please contact Dr. Vyas Krishnan at email@example.com.