Monarch Money

Monarch Money is available to Saint Leo University students who attend courses at University Campus and are eligible for AND have accepted enough financial aid to create a credit balance for the term/semester. Students who are not eligible for OR do not have enough financial aid to cover term charges can still utilize Monarch Money by prepaying for the funds.

Monarch Money refers to funds credited to the student ID card that can be used for purchases in the Campus Bookstore and also to purchase meals in the Dining Hall and the Lion’s Lair. Monarch Money may be added to a student ID card online via eLion or at the Student Financial Support Center. Certain restrictions do apply, namely:

  • Monarch Money is limited to use on campus and cannot be redeemed for cash.
  • Monarch Money can be added to a student ID card throughout the semester if prepaid.
  • The maximum amount of Monarch Money permitted to be credited to the student account is contingent on excess financial aid. Limits are $600 in a semester or $300 for a term, unless paid with cash up front. However, after week 2 of the term/semester any funds added to the ID card must be paid at the time of receipt.
  • Students receiving CH 31 Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits or Athletic Aid may not utilize Monarch Money unless paid for at time of issuance.
  • Any unused Monarch Money obtained from excess Financial Aid will be transferred from your ID card to your student account after 30 days from the start of the semester/term. If this return creates a credit balance, a refund will be initiated to you per your selected refund preference with Bank Mobile.
  • Any prepaid Monarch Money will remain on your ID card unless you request a return. 


If you have excess financial aid, it should be noted that Monarch Money is charged to the student’s account. Thus, Monarch Money that is not timely repaid is a debt owed the University. This debt will result in a financial hold and all other consequences, including possible collection efforts, which apply to unpaid amounts on the student account. If for any reason a student’s enrollment ceases, he or she remains liable to the University for Monarch Money that has not been repaid. I understand that if I fail to timely repay Monarch Money, I will be ineligible for future Monarch Money to be added to my student ID. (Remember, students are not permitted to register for classes, request transcripts or diplomas or graduate with an outstanding account balance.)

To request Monarch Money, please visit Please contact Student Accounts to discuss billing and payment questions at 352-588-6600 or at