(877) 622-2009
Request InfoSchedule a visitApply Now
Start your online degree today!
Military Students
Contact Admissions
Contact Admissions
Visit the Saint Leo University campus
Learn more about how to start an online degree today
Talk to us today: (877) 622-2009

Accessibility Services FAQs

Which students might be eligible for accommodations?

Students with an identified disability may be eligible for accommodations. Examples include, but are not limited to, students with learning disabilities, ADHD, health problems, physical limitations or mental health related issues. Also, students with hearing impairments, visual disabilities, or speech/communication related issues may be eligible.

How do I obtain accommodations for my disability?

You must register with the Office of Accessibility Services and submit supporting medical documentation to be approved for accommodations. The first step in registering with the OAS is to fill out an online application. You can upload your documentation directly to the application, or you can email it to adaoffice@saintleo.edu or fax it to (352) 588-8605. Once your application and medical documentation have been reviewed, an OAS staff member will reach out to you to schedule an intake interview. For a detailed procedure for registering with our office, click here.

Fill out an online application now!

What kind of documentation must I provide to be eligible for accommodations?

Appropriate clinical documentation should substantiate the disability and present evidence to establish a rationale supporting the need for accommodations. A school plan such as an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or a 504 plan is insufficient documentation in and of itself but can be included as part of a more comprehensive evaluative report (to establish history of a disability). For conditions that are subject to change overtime (including health related disorders or psychological disabilities) the student may be asked to provide updated documentation for his/her file on an on-going basis in order for accommodations to be continued.

For more information, download our complete guidelines for medical documentation.

What accommodations are available?

A wide variety of accommodations are available depending on your disability. The OAS Staff will work with you to determine which accommodations you need. Examples of services and auxiliary aid available to qualifying individuals include: extended time for exams, a quiet testing environment, note-taking software, hand-held recorders, captioning services, books in alternative format, and transportation assistance. All decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

Where is the Office of Disability Services located?

The Office of Accessibility Services is located inside the Learning Resource Center on the first floor of Kirk Hall. The office numbers are 120 and 121.

I had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) in high school; can I use my IEP as documentation?

Although an IEP is helpful in understanding the history of the disability, it cannot be used as documentation rationalizing accommodations for the disability. Please see our complete guidelines for medical documentation for information on appropriate documentation. 

I received special education (IDEA) or 504 services in high school; how are these services different in college?

Whereas IDEA governed your accommodations in high school, the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act apply to higher education accommodations. Title III of the ADA refers to private colleges, which includes Saint Leo University. Institutions of higher education cannot discriminate on the basis of disability, and they cannot inquire whether or not you have a disability. Therefore, self-advocacy is extremely important now that you're a college student. Your school must provide you with equal access to transportation, housing, and educational materials, but you must self-disclose to the Office of Accessibility Services to receive any accommodations that may be necessary to accomplish this. See our homepage for resources providing further information on the ADA and Section 504.

What role do my parents play in the process?

Students who are 18 years old or older are legally recognized as adults. Therefore, the student is responsible for his or her own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. However, students are encouraged to have an open dialogue with their parents. Parents can be a wonderful source of support.

Is there a charge for receiving accommodations from the Office of Accessibility Services?

There is no charge for receiving accommodations from the Office of Accessibility Services.

What if I have not been diagnosed but suspect I have a learning disability?

If you suspect you have a learning disability, we encourage you to meet with the OAS Staff. Although Saint Leo University does not provide psycho-educational evaluations, the OAS staff will work with you to decide if a referral is necessary. The OAS staff may refer you to an off-campus licensed psychologist for a complete psycho-educational evaluation and assessment of skills. The cost of psycho-educational testing would be your responsibility.

Schedule a Visit to Tour the Campus

Request more information