Full-time undergraduate students at Saint Leo University with demonstrated financial need can now apply for a new scholarship that will award $500 per calendar year to spend on textbooks and other academically necessary school supplies. Textbooks can be new or used, and can be purchased or rented. Supplies can include items such as laboratory materials and notebooks. Forty scholarships will be awarded each year.
The scholarship money has been available through a generous gift from Follett Corp., which operates the bookstore for Saint Leo. The money will be available for use as early as the Fall 2018 semesters/terms, and must be spent by the end of 2018. Undergraduates who study anywhere with Saint Leo are eligible to apply, as long as they are registered for the upcoming semester and have full-time student status and a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher.
To increase the convenience to student scholarship winners, the awarded funds will be kept in an account credited to the student through the bookstore website. As students make eligible purchases, their accounts will be charged. Students will receive free standard shipping of the items as long as their addresses are in the continental United States.
Students and their families need to apply keep the following in mind to apply.
• The application period is April 1 through May 15, and the applications can be found starting Sunday, April 1, at https://saintleo.academicworks.com/.
• Full-time students must be registered for courses in the upcoming academic terms (6-plus credit hours per term for WorldWide); for University Campus students (12-plus credit hours), that means the Fall 2018 Academic Semester.
• A 2.75 GPA is required.
• Students must have a FAFSA on file with the university to verify financial need. The website for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is here for those with questions.
• Scholarships are for one year only, but students can apply again the next year. The program has been put in place for five years, starting this year.
• Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
As a private, nonprofit institution, Saint Leo strives to make higher education attainable to committed students of all ages. This new scholarship will help students whose existing sources of financial aid do not cover this very important need.
For more information, contact: Victoria Reece, scholarship officer, at Saint Leo University at (352) 588-8668, or email@example.com.