Saint Leo University will host the FBI National Academy Associates' Mass Casualty Response Leadership Forum Series on Monday, August 16, and Tuesday, August 17 at the university's Pasco County, FL, campus.
"Mass" refers to a large-scale incident, which affects numerous people and happens quickly, often without notice, and with a high amount of responding resources from multiple agencies. The increase in mass shooting incidents in recent years prompted FBI National Academy Associates to create this two-day leadership forum for first responders.
This forum is designed to provide those attending with the knowledge, skills, and resources needed to improve initial response, emergency operations center procedures, and communications management during and after a crisis.
The forum will be held 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. August 16-17, at Saint Leo University, 33701 State Road, 52, St. Leo, FL 33574. Key issues to be discussed include:
- Lessons learned: A review of past incidents;
- The dynamics of active assailant situation;
- Multiagency response: Coordinating law enforcement, fire, emergency medical services, and schools; and,
- Communications during and after the incident.
Keynote speakers and their topics include:
- James Cervera, former chief of the Virginia Beach (VA) Police Department, a 1981 Saint Leo graduate, who earned his bachelor's degree in criminal justice, will provide a review of the 2019 Virginia Beach mass shooting;
- Bradley Orsini, senior national security advisor, Secure Community Network, will discuss house of worship shootings and the Tree of Life synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh;
- Timothy Enos, chief of the Sarasota County Schools Police Department, whose topic is "School Shootings—Leading the Way in the New Normal"; and,
- Stephen Jones, FBI National Academy communications instructor, who will present "Controlling the Narrative in a Crisis."
In addition, there will be an FBI presentation on shooter preparedness/response and shooter behaviors.
Cost for the two-day Mass Casualty Response Leadership Forum is $300 for FBI National Academy Associates Inc. (FBINAA) members and $350 for nonmembers. Register at https://fbinaa.formstack.com/forms/mcrlf_fl
For more information, contact Laura Masterton at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (540) 810-2725.