Saint Leo University marked a construction milestone on December 17 with the topping-off ceremony for the new Wellness Center. This bond-funded facility, located on the west end of campus by Lake Jovita, will create an environment for holistic health and well-being that integrates student recreation, fitness, health services, counseling services, and campus ministry. Construction is anticipated to be completed in fall 2021.
After a blessing by Father Randall Meissen, university chaplain, and remarks by President Jeffrey Senese, the last steel beam was hoisted into a spot at the top of the 59,000-square-foot building.
Members of our campus community had the opportunity to sign their names to the beam, when it was outside the Student Activities Building for two days in November. The beam also featured a blessed crucifix and the names of our Saint Leo University Board of Trustees and administration.
The Wellness Center will feature:
- Resort-style pool featuring two lap lanes, an area to play volleyball and basketball, and a shallow area for lounging.
- Patio and pool deck will offer a 180-degree view of Lake Jovita.
- Fitness area with cardio equipment, free weights and machines, as well as a dance studio, yoga studio, and cycling center offering a variety of scheduled class programming.
- Health Services, University Ministry, Counseling & Prevention Services, and Recreation services.
- Large, multipurpose gymnasium boasting an indoor walking track, that can be converted for a variety of events—from basketball games and meetings to wedding receptions and formal galas.
- Café offering healthy options including smoothies, salads, wraps, and snacks. An outdoor poolside barbecue and seating area will include a large gas grill and fire pit.
The community can watch the progress on construction of Saint Leo’s newest facility via the "construction cam."