Why Earn Your Software Engineering Degree at Saint Leo University?
One of the most dynamic and essential fields, software engineering is responsible for much of our technological progress—from smartphones to genetic modeling. This field is experiencing explosive growth due to the ubiquitous nature of software that drives all computing machines and devices.
Our Bachelor of Software Engineering degree will fully prepare you to contribute to today’s ever-growing information economy. The BS in Software Engineering curriculum is designed to prepare graduates for exciting careers in software development by combining the right balance of fundamental and theoretical concepts of modern software design techniques. Students will gain a practical understanding of computer hardware, networks, databases, and key areas of software architecture.
Instructors in this program come from a wide range of backgrounds and have many years’ worth of practical experience within the varied field of software engineering, allowing them to communicate this valuable practice to students. Small class sizes offer personal attention from instructors, enabling students to flourish in an online environment.
The Bachelor of Science in software engineering is designed to prepare graduates for careers in the information technology domains that involve development of complex software products
Undergraduate Software Engineering Program Details
This bachelor of software engineering degree will prepare you for careers in the areas of software architecture, design, development, and testing. Upon graduation, you will be educated in the technical aspects of software engineering, as well as the business impact of potential solutions to software engineering problems.
Learn Your Way:
Online, On Campus, or Near You
What are the on-campus facilities like?
Students who pursue their degrees at Saint Leo’s main campus near sunny Tampa Bay, Florida, join a community of enthusiastic learners just like them.
Software engineering students enjoy plenty of engaging learning opportunities both inside and outside the classroom, as well as exciting departmental events.
What are the benefits of earning your software engineering degree online?
Saint Leo University’s online learning experience provides a well-rounded education with the flexibility to tailor your course of study to meet your individual needs. We know our students have lives outside school, and we seek to meet them where they are. Online students can count on receiving excellent academics as well as opportunities for hands-on learning.
Taking online classes has afforded me the opportunity to learn while maintaining a job. They give me some flexibility to study at times that work more cohesively with my schedule and allow me to utilize resources such as the library 24 hours a day.
Bentley Streat | Hayes, VA
Are education centers near you offering software engineering degree programs?
You may also choose to pursue your degree through one of our education centers, which merge a traditional in-person education with the flexibility to match your lifestyle. Education centers offer eight-week academic terms as well as evening and weekend classes.
No matter which learning experience you choose, you will receive plenty of professional development opportunities, industry knowledge from expert professors, and support from the Saint Leo community. All this together means that you will be ready for a successful career or continued studies upon graduation.
What skills you will learn?
- computing concepts, practices, and tools for the specification, design, implementation, and evaluation of computer-based systems, processes, components, or programs to meet desired criteria.
- software engineering theory, principles, tools and processes, as well as the theory and principles of computer science and mathematics, to the development and maintenance of complex, scalable software systems.
- software processes to real-world problems, including requirements analysis and specification, software design and implementation, verification, validation and quality assurance, maintenance of software.
- objectivity, integrity, and ethical behavior that are consistent with the standards of the discipline.
How will you gain real experience?
- Internships: University Campus students are encouraged (but not required) to pursue an optional internship. Students have interned with Verizon, Tech Data Corporation, the Pasco County Sheriff’s Department, and many other local organizations and Saint Leo departments.
- Technology: University Campus students will hone their computer programming skills in two fully equipped computer labs, a cybersecurity lab, and classrooms equipped with state-of-the-art SMART Board technology. Online students will have virtual access to the University Campus cybersecurity lab.
- Co-curricular activities: All students may join the Computing Club and the Computer Security Club.
- Memberships: Outstanding students may be selected for induction into Saint Leo’s chapter of Upsilon Pi Epsilon, the international honor society for distinguished scholars in the computing and information systems disciplines.
What can you do with an undergraduate software engineering degree?
Graduates find success in a broad spectrum of industries, developing commercial and industrial applications or computer models used in scientific or engineering research.
What are the top software engineering degree jobs?
|Software developer||22% (Much faster than average)||$110,140 per year|
|Computer programmer||7% (As fast as average)||$93,730 per year|
|Information research scientist||22% (Much faster than average)||$126,830 per year|
From the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2020.
School of CARDS
The School of Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Data Science (CARDS) at Saint Leo University houses several cutting-edge degree programs with a technology focus. Now being over two decades into the 21st century, these forms of technology are prevalent across all industries and continue to grow each day. Therefore, more and more college graduates within these majors are in demand to develop the technical aspects of these practical technologies and strategies.
The degree programs within this college include computer science, robotics and artificial intelligence (AI), and data science. Taught by faculty with many years of practical experience across numerous areas of focus, students learn the intricacies of coding software to power mobile applications, develop functions to make robots perform specific tasks, and learn the significance of using data to help businesses make strategic decisions. Students can expect small class sizes with one-on-one support from their instructors, allowing them to gain a high-quality education that will empower them for career success.