Saint Leo University offers a variety of grants and scholarships to eligible first-time freshman students (and some eligible transfer students) attending University College at University Campus. Students with questions should contact their admissions counselor or call (352) 588-8283.
The information below is only applicable to the 2018-2019 incoming class.
Merit Scholarships (up to $11,000)
- Academic merit scholarships are based on a student's GPA and test scores (ACT or SAT).
- First-year students who qualify may receive an award of up to $11,000 while eligible transfer students may receive up to $6,000 in merit scholarship aid.
- University College at University Campus full-time transfer students and first-time freshman students are eligible. Education Center, Center for Online Learning, and Adult Education Center at University Campus students are ineligible.
- Merit scholarships are renewable for up to eight terms for incoming freshman students. Recipients must remain enrolled full-time on campus and maintain satisfactory academic progress.
Saint Leo University EMACS Scholarships (up to $10,000)
Saint Leo University is offering generous scholarships of up to $10,000 per year for motivated students pursuing undergraduate degrees in Computer Science or Mathematics. These prestigious scholarships are funded through a grant from the National Science Foundation and will provide the scholarship recipients interested in Computer Science or Mathematics an educational experience that allows them to explore the interdisciplinary nature of Computer Science and Mathematics, with the academic and financial support to succeed at Saint Leo University. Scholarship recipients will participate in shared course work, seminars, research projects, and internships. Scholarship recipients will be part of a cohesive STEM learning community, where the scholars will be offered academic support, one-on-one mentoring by supportive faculty, and exciting internship and research opportunities.
Saint Leo University is able to offer this unique opportunity to its students through funding from the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) S-STEM program. The S-STEM program was established by the National Science Foundation in accordance with the American Competitiveness and Workforce Improvement Act of 1998. The Act reflects the national need to substantially increase the number of American scientists and engineers. The S-STEM program emphasizes the importance of recruiting students to STEM disciplines, mentoring and supporting students through degree completion, and partnering with employers to facilitate student career placement in STEM fields.
This S-STEM program will offer scholarships for qualified students amounting to up to $10,000 per year, renewable for four years. Up to 16 of these scholarships will be awarded over the course of five years, 2018 – 2022. Through this scholarship program, the STEM program scholars will be well prepared to understand contemporary approaches to research in the Computer Science as well as Mathematics, and to effectively contribute to occupations in the Computer Science and Mathematics fields.
Applications are currently being accepted for scholarship awards for FALL 2018. Completed applications (including TWO letters of recommendation) must be received by May 01, 2018 for consideration for an award in FALL 2018.
- Be a current or accepted student at Saint Leo University.
- Citizenship - U .S. citizenship, permanent resident, national, or admitted alien or refugee status. (No separate documentation needed. The FAFSA form described below in #2 will include verification of citizenship status.)
- Financial Need Documentation - Financial need documentation, defined for undergraduate students by the U.S. Department of Education rules for need-based Federal financial aid. Please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- Complete the S-STEM Scholarship Application Form. CLICK HERE to access the application form. As part of the application, applicants must complete an essay in which they introduce themselves and discuss their personal and career goals and interests.
- High School Academic Performance: Applicants must have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA. The Selection Committee will also give preference to candidates who successfully complete AP or dual enrollment in science and math courses.
- Completed recommendation forms from two teachers from your high school. CLICK HERE to access the recommendation form.
- SAT/ACT Test scores: Applicants must have a minimum cumulative ACT score of 24 or a SAT score of 1160 or above.
The ideal candidate will also be one with a demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in the STEM disciplines of Computer Science or Mathematics. Application Deadline is May 01, 2018. No late applications will be considered.
Scholarships are renewed each semester based on student performance. Once awarded, scholarships may be extended for up to FOUR years depending on:
- Be enrolled full time (at least 12 semester hours) in either
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, or
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Mathematics
- Have demonstrated financial need.
- Regular attendance and participation in all activities related to the S-STEM scholarship program.
- Participation in advising and supplemental instruction opportunities.
- Maintenance of GPA (3.0 minimum).
- Progress toward degree and successful completion of baccalaureate program from Saint Leo University.
- Eligibility for need-based federal financial aid.
For questions about the scholarship requirements please contact:
- Dr. Vyas Krishnan at Vyas.Krishnan@saintleo.edu for Computer Science degree program
- Dr. Monika Kiss at Monika.Kiss@saintleo.edu for Mathematics degree program.