Working in sports can make for an exciting and rewarding career. Whether it's handling the digital marketing of an NHL franchise or working in the athletic department of a major university, there are countless opportunities in sports from the Little Leagues to the big leagues.
In this episode of the Saint Leo 360 podcast, Dr. Leon Mohan of Saint Leo University's Tapia College of Business joins the discussion to talk about Saint Leo's Bachelor of Arts in Sport Business degree program. Mohan spoke about:
- His career in sports business working for the Carolina Hurricanes, Montreal Expos, and other sports teams/organizations and how he got into teaching
- The industry advisory council that Saint Leo's Tapia College of Business has with leaders in the sports field, such as representatives from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tampa Bay Lightning, and Tampa Bay Rays
- The types of students who have enrolled in this sport business program, such as student-athletes and those who are sports fans or have competed in sports recreationally
- Why there's a fine line between being a sports fan and working in the sports field
- The program's focus on experiential learning, including an apprenticeship course and internship requirement for students to gain practical experience working in sports
- The minors and specific areas of focus offered in this program
- The MBA in Sport Business concentration option for graduate students
- The faculty in both the bachelor's in sport business and MBA in Sport Business programs and the courses they teach
- The small class sizes and the benefits of this type of instruction
- The geographic benefits of this degree program being close to many sports teams, organizations, and facilities in the central Florida area
- Specific career tracks within the sports field for which those with a sport business degree would qualify and examples of Saint Leo alumni who are working in rewarding careers in the field
- The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the business side of the sports field
Listen to Episode 23 of the Saint Leo 360 podcast with Saint Leo University associate professor of sport business Dr. Leon Mohan here.
You can also listen and subscribe to the Saint Leo 360 podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Pandora and Stitcher. Plus, you can find all of the Saint Leo 360 podcast episodes here.
Learn More about Saint Leo University's BA in Sport Business Degree Program
For additional details about the Bachelor of Arts in Sport Business degree program at Saint Leo University, visit the program page.
Learn More about Saint Leo's MBA in Sport Business Program
Interested in a graduate degree instead? Learn more about the Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in Sport Business here.