Why choose our Bachelor of Software Engineering?
One of the most dynamic and essential fields, software engineering is responsible for much of our technological progress—from smartphones to genetic modeling. This field is experiencing explosive growth due to the ubiquitous nature of software that drives all computing machines and devices.
Our Bachelor of Software Engineering degree will fully prepare you to contribute to today’s ever-growing information economy. The BS in Software Engineering curriculum is designed to prepare graduates for exciting careers in software development by combining the right balance of fundamental and theoretical concepts of modern software design techniques. Students will gain a practical understanding of computer hardware, networks, databases, and key areas of software architecture.
Instructors in this program come from a wide range of backgrounds and have many years’ worth of practical experience within the varied field of software engineering, allowing them to communicate this valuable practice to students. Small class sizes offer personal attention from instructors, enabling students to flourish in an online environment.
The Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering program is offered online as well as at University Campus.
Saint Leo University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
In addition, Saint Leo is proud to have earned designation as an NSA/DHS National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE-CDE).
The U.S. government’s National Security Administration (NSA) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) jointly sponsor this National Centers of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CD) Education (CAE-CDE) program. The goal of this program is to reduce vulnerability in our national information infrastructure by promoting higher education and research in CD and producing a growing number of professionals with CD expertise. Universities awarded this designation have undergone an in-depth assessment and have met rigorous requirements. Students attending a CAE-CDE school are eligible to apply for scholarships and grants through the Department of Defense Information Assurance Scholarship Program and the Federal Cyber Service Scholarship for Service Program.
- Learn to solve real-life problems involving the design, development, support, and management of computer software, mobile applications, multimedia, and systems integration services.
- Practice computer techniques in a stimulating classroom or online environment that uses the latest state-of-the-art tools and technology.
- Gain marketable skills in computer programming, software architecture, algorithm design, Internet applications, and software quality assurance.
- Study under experts who have worked all over the world and in high-level positions at Texas Instruments, IBM, and the United States Air Force, as well as noteworthy banks, insurance companies, and educational institutions.
- Benefit from a forward-thinking curriculum based on the recommendations of IEEE and ACM, two leading standards-making organizations in educational and scientific computing.
Upon completion of this degree program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of computing concepts, practices, and tools for the specification, design, implementation, and evaluation of computer-based systems, processes, components, or programs to meet desired criteria.
- Apply software engineering theory, principles, tools and processes, as well as the theory and principles of computer science and mathematics, to the development and maintenance of complex, scalable software systems.
- Apply software processes to real-world problems, including requirements analysis and specification, software design and implementation, verification, validation and quality assurance, maintenance of software.
- Demonstrate objectivity, integrity, and ethical behavior that are consistent with the standards of the discipline.
For a complete listing of required courses, including individual course descriptions, please consult the Saint Leo 2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog.
Core major requirements include:
||Programming in Java
||Theoretical Foundation of CS
||Human Computer Interaction
||Algorithms and Data Structures
||Network Theory & Design
||Systems Analysis & Design
||Database Concepts and Programming
||Introduction to Internet Applications
||Introduction to Information Security
||IT & Project Management
||Software Requirements Engineering
||Mobile Application Development
||Software Quality Assurance
||Software Engineering Capstone
In addition, the program emphasizes critical thinking and leadership skills within Saint Leo University's core values and traditions.
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional development opportunities include:
- Internships: University Campus students are encouraged (but not required) to pursue an optional internship. Students have interned with Verizon, Tech Data Corporation, the Pasco County Sheriff’s Department, and many other local organizations and Saint Leo departments.
- Technology: University Campus students will hone their computer programming skills in two fully equipped computer labs, a cybersecurity lab, and classrooms equipped with state-of-the-art SMART Board technology. Online students will have virtual access to the University Campus cybersecurity lab.
- Co-curricular activities: All students may join the Computing Club and the Computer Security Club.
- Memberships: Outstanding students may be selected for induction into Saint Leo’s chapter of Upsilon Pi Epsilon, the international honor society for distinguished scholars in the computing and information systems disciplines. Further information on Saint Leo clubs and associations can be found here.
What can you do with a Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering?
Graduates find success in a broad spectrum of industries, developing commercial and industrial applications or computer models used in scientific or engineering research.
Possible career paths include:
- Software engineer
- Computer scientist
- Web developer
- System software developer
- Systems analyst
- Systems integrator
- Computer programmer
- Database administrator
- Network administrator
Related Saint Leo Blog Articles