Why Earn Your Online Emergency Management Degree at Saint Leo University?
The online BA in Emergency Management degree provides students with the knowledge and skills in an increasingly important and dynamic discipline. The program prepares individuals from the public and private sectors, non-governmental organizations, and military personnel to manage the diverse challenges facing our nation as a result of recent disaster events and complex global threats. Students will learn theoretical knowledge and practical skills that are necessary to effectively manage a wide range of critical incidents to properly lead organizations in times of crisis.
Emergencies and disasters are increasing in both number and severity in the U.S. and around the globe. More than ever, organizations and communities must have knowledgeable and well-trained staff to handle various threats and risks. Such proactive organizations and communities will be prepared to have the leadership and resources in place to manage complex critical incidents.
Our convenient online delivery format is ideal for public safety professionals or others seeking a regionally accredited education that fits their personal schedules.
This program consists of 9 core courses (27 credits) that provide a foundation to the emergency management field.
Required Courses (27 Credits)
- Political and Legal Foundations of Emergency Management (3)
- Emergency Planning and Mitigation (3)
- Risk Assessment and Vulnerability Analysis (3)
- Disaster Response and Recovery (3)
- Interagency Disaster Management (3)
- Leadership and Ethics in Emergency Management (3)
- Technology in Emergency Management (3)
- A Social Vulnerability Approach to Emergency Management (3)
- Domestic and Global Terrorism (3)
Elective Requirements (12 Credits)
Students may choose 4 courses from among the below electives, OR Select the 4-course Fire Service Specialization, OR select any 4 courses from either the elective course list or the Fire Science Specialization courses to meet the 4-Course Electives Requirement.
- Crisis Communications and Social Media (3)
- Exercise Design and Evaluation (3)
- EOC Management and Operations (3)
- Internship in Emergency Management (3)
Fire Science Specialization
A Fire Science Specialization is available with the following 4 courses:
- Principles of Fire and Emergency Services (3)
- Fire Prevention Organization and Management (3)
- Community Risk Reduction for the Fire and Emergency Services (3)
- Fire and Emergency Services Administration (3)