Why Choose Saint Leo's Online Respiratory Therapy Program?
The online respiratory therapy program is uniquely suited for practicing respiratory therapists who are ready to pursue new career opportunities, enhance their practice, and advance the respiratory care profession.
By expanding the breadth and depth of knowledge and skills beyond those of the entry level registered respiratory therapist (RRT), our bachelor’s degree program enables respiratory therapists to meet current professional goals, and at the same time prepare for future roles in respiratory care.
Offered as a 2-year online respiratory therapy program, a degree from Saint Leo provides a more contemporary approach to respiratory care, incorporating broad exposure to best practices and current innovations. Infused throughout the curriculum, our Culture of Health framework prepares students to become respiratory therapists who are expert in their field and who understand the factors that impact clinician well-being and inter-professional communication. Our program ensures that students are better equipped with new skills in leadership, management, education, research, and advanced clinical practice, and excel with confidence as an advanced degree respiratory therapist.
Students who already have an earned associate degree in Respiratory Therapy are eligible to apply to the online respiratory therapy program. Through evaluation of the associate degree credits, students may earn 64 or more credits toward the B.S. degree. The online program provides a Bachelor of Science degree advancement for respiratory therapists who have completed an entry into respiratory care practice degree.
The online Respiratory Therapy program* is offered as a two-year bachelor of science degree program with students completing one or more eight-week online courses year-round (with holiday breaks). Transfer credits impact on program length. Students may also choose to take the program over a longer time-frame (generally three years) if desired.
The Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy is offered online only.
The BS in Respiratory Therapy at Saint Leo University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC), http://www.sacs.org/.
- Hold a current unencumbered license in Florida or in the state of current employment
- Hold an active Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential from the NBRC
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better from the CoARC accredited associate degree respiratory therapy program from a regionally accredited institution.
- If currently enrolled, earn a C or better in all coursework taken by the end of the semester prior to the semester for which application is made (Students applying in the last year of their associate program must have an RRT and license at the start of classes).
Program Features & Differentiators
- 100% online with one course at a time over eight weeks; the length of the program is dependent on the number of credits that the student transfers in. The general length to program completion is two years.
- Cutting edge curriculum which does not duplicate content from the associate degree program.
- The program does not have a required practicum.
- Faculty are all practicing respiratory therapists and/or educators.
Courses in the major enhance clinical practice and leadership skills. BS Respiratory Therapy program courses include:
- Interpersonal and Interprofessional Communication and Professionalism in Healthcare,
- Introduction to Research and Evidence-based Practice,
- Advanced Cardiopulmonary Pathophysiology,
- Advanced Cardiopulmonary Pharmacology and Management of Conditions,
- Teaching in Respiratory Therapy,
- Advanced Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care,
- Professional Leadership for the Respiratory Therapist,
- Program Administration in Respiratory Therapy,
- Project Management to Enhance Health Outcomes,
- Respiratory Therapy Capstone
Program graduates will be able to:
- Apply an analytical approach to clinical situations through application of biomedical and clinical sciences to patient care scenarios.
- Apply professional attributes related to responsibility, ethical practice, sensitivity to diversity, and legal and regulatory requirements.
- Apply interpersonal and inter-professional communication consistent with Saint Leo University core values that results in effective interaction with others and a person-centered focus.
- Demonstrate proficiency with accessing, analyzing, and applying evidence-based research related to respiratory care.
- Demonstrate leadership in respiratory therapy roles.
Professional Development Opportunities
The online respiratory therapy bachelor's program includes content that extends prior learning positioning students for advanced practice and leadership roles. Individual courses may be taken for professional development.
The program is for registered respiratory therapists wishing to earn a bachelor's in respiratory therapy to enhance job choices, promotions, and leadership, and education positions.
Saint Leo Graduates
Graduates work as respiratory therapists and managers and leaders in acute care facilities. Our online respiratory therapy program may provide additional opportunities for advancement.
Applicants interested in learning more about degree advancement, the difference between bachelor of science (BS) degrees and bachelor of applied science (BAS), and accreditation can read more at, https://www.aarc.org/careers/respiratory_therapy_degree_advancement/
Personal and professional benefits of the advanced BS degree may impact on compensation and roles as described at, https://www.aarc.org/careers/respiratory_therapy_degree_advancement/