Become an ACES Scholar
Students who love biology and math have more career options than ever before. Saint Leo can show you how to set your passion on a new course by becoming a STEM teacher through a degree program that keeps you close to the subjects that matter most.
Pursue your passion for STEM and teaching with a scholarship funded by the National Science Foundation. Awarding Career Educators in STEM (ACES) is a scholarship specifically designed for students who major in mathematics or biology, and minor in education. Qualifying students receive $18,750 in both their junior and senior year. ACES scholars also receive assistance with teacher certification exams, teaching experiences and mentoring that continues into the first years of teaching after graduation.
ACES Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Major or plan to major in biology or math, with a minor in education.
- Plan to attend or currently enrolled full-time at Saint Leo University main campus.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must demonstrate financial need.
- Must submit your FAFSA®.
- Must submit the STEM Scholarship application, which requires:
- Two professional recommendations that reflect your STEM background and experiences, and your potential for teaching.
- 500 Word Essay about your passion to pursue Biology or Math
Selection of ACES Scholarship Recipients
Students can expect to hear back within 2-4 weeks after application has been submitted.
Degree Programs Covered by ACES
Why Become a STEM Teacher?
Science is everywhere! Technology is constantly changing. Engineering is involved in the structural designs of our buildings and roads, and also tackles the process of improving smart products for our homes. It is literally everywhere. Mathematics is involved in all occupations in every single aspect of our daily lives.
By exposing students to STEM and opening student's minds to STEM concepts, you are essentially changing the trajectory of our future too. Make an impact on the lives of children and young adults who share your passion for science, technology, engineering and math. Stake your place in a high-demand profession where current teacher shortages in science and math translate into greater opportunities for trained and certified STEM teachers.
- JOBS! The Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) has annually identified critical teacher shortages in the areas of science and math. These critical shortages translate into high demand for STEM trained and certified teachers
- MAKE an impact in the lives of children and young adults.
- IMPROVE the quality of STEM education for current and future students in your community.
- SHARE your love of biology or math with others.
One Passion With More Than One Pathway To Get There
Saint Leo University is offering STEM majors the opportunity to turn their passion into a teaching career. Through a scholarship available to students through the university, you can explore the possibilities STEM teaching offers.
Freshmen year college students choose a major in biology or math, plus a minor in education to receive the most technology advanced training in teaching that an undergraduate degree has to offer.
Current Saint Leo biology or math majors that are looking to also minor in education.
Want to Know More?
Download PDF Flyer • Download Fast Facts • Download FAQs
For more information about your pathway to a STEM teaching degree at Saint Leo, reach out to one of our faculty members who are as passionate about biology and math as you.
For more information about your pathway to a STEM teaching degree, reach out to one of our faculty members or email us at ACES@saintleo.edu
Interested in applying for the ACES Scholarship?
Complete the ACES Application Form and ACES Recommendation Form and submit them to us at ACES@saintleo.edu
NSF Project No. 1949914
Disclaimer: The opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
ACES Scholarship Application
ACES Recommendation Letter